MVRPC will be updating this page with information and resources about the 2020 Census as it is made available.
Local Update of Census Addresses Operation (LUCA)
Local jurisdictions have an upcoming opportunity to make sure residents get counted!
Each community has a chance to comment on the address list that the U.S. Census Bureau uses during the 2020 Census in a program called the Local Update of Census Addresses Operation (LUCA). LUCA is the only opportunity prior to the 2020 Census for tribal, state, and local governments to review and update the U.S. Census Bureau’s residential address list for their jurisdiction. The Census Bureau relies on a complete and accurate address list to reach every living quarters and associated population for inclusion in the census.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Census Offers Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) Training in Ohio
Please follow the below link for information on LUCA training provided by the US Census Bureau currently underway in Ohio. Classes are offered between now and early December 2017. We will update this Flyer as more training sessions are added.
Click to view the Ohio LUCA Training Flyer
LUCA Workshop, May 2017
MVRPC hosted a workshop on May 18, 2017 that provided a general overview of LUCA. The presenter was Rose Simmons of the U.S. Census Bureau. Links to the information presented at the workshop are as follows:
- Click to view the May 18, 2017 Workshop Flyer
- Click to review the May 18, 2017 Workshop Presentation
- Click to view the LUCA Informational Flyer
- Click to view the 2020 LUCA information guide.
Important LUCA Dates:
- July 2017 – LUCA Invitation mailing (which includes registration materials) to the Highest Elected Officials (HEO’s)
- October 2017 – LUCA training workshops begin
- December 15, 2017 – Deadline for LUCA registration
- February - April 2018 – LUCA materials begin to ship to participants. Participants begin their review and have 120 calendar days to complete.
- February - September 2018 – Census Bureau processing of LUCA submissions begins.
- August - September 2019 – Census Bureau delivers LUCA feedback to participants (the Appeals process is still under development, but tentatively scheduled to begin in October 2019 with a very short review timeframe)
- April 1, 2020 is CENSUS DAY!
Additional information for LUCA may be found at: https://www.census.gov/geo/partnerships/luca.html
Also to learn more about the 2020 Census you can click the following website: https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/2020-census/about.html
MVRPC Contact: Lynn Zuch, Research Associate, 937.223.6323, email@example.com
U.S. Census Bureau Contact: Rose Simmons, Partnership Specialist, 614.361,9430, firstname.lastname@example.org