At MVRPC, GIS is one of the key components of its Planning Support System that provides a vital operating function in conducting regional planning activities. Examples of GIS activities include geospatial database construction and management, technical spatial data analysis, and map generation to facilitate a better decision making process. Further, MVRPC’s GIS program provides a leadership role in the Region by coordinating and implementing various GIS activities to share data, information, knowledge, and technical expertise with local governments and the general public.
Past training sessions
Introduction to ArcGIS Desktop Training Session
- May 2018: MVRPC hosted a training session about ArcGIS Desktop basics on May 23, 2018. The session covered the following topics: ArcGIS Desktop overview, adding and displaying data in ArcGIS Desktop, and creating a custom map. Please click to download the instructional materials, including presentation, exercises and data files.
- June 2017: MVRPC hosted a training session on Introduction to ArcGIS Desktop. The session covered the following topics: ArcGIS Desktop Overview, Importing and Joining Census data, mapping and analyzing Census data.
Intermediate ArcGIS Desktop Training Session
- May 2019: MVRPC hosted a training session about Working with Data in ArcGIS Desktop on May 22, 2019. The session covered the following topics: creating & editing data, working with GPS data, and using different mapping techniques. Please click to download the instructional materials, including presentation, exercises and data files.
ArcGIS Online Basics Training
- November 2019: MVRPC hosted a training session on ArcGIS Online – Data Collection. Click to download the exercise materials and instructions.
- November 2018: MVRPC hosted a training session on ArcGIS Online Basics. Click to download the exercise materials and instructions.
- November 2017: MVRPC hosted a training session on ArcGIS Online Basics. You can download some exercise materials, and access additional training material here.
GIS & the Census
GIS & the Census Training
- November 2016: MVRPC hosted a training session on GIS & the Census. Please see the links below for instructional materials:
GIS & the Census: Part 1 - https://arcg.is/2fAwOzS
GIS & the Census: Part 2 - https://arcg.is/2fwFtn2
GIS & the Census: Part 3 - https://arcg.is/2fg2Xgb
Exercise Shapefile Download
In 2014, MVRPC launched the Regional GIS program to facilitate regional collaboration through data sharing, information exchange, and leveraging GIS investments made by each organization.
The purposes of the Regional GIS program are to: 1) provide its members direct access to MVRPC’s datasets and interact with MVRPC’s GIS to map and analyze data to meet their own needs; and 2) address regional needs through on-going coordination and cooperation amongst organizations in the region.
A new GIS services flyer highlights information on some of the GIS services MVRPC can provide to communities.
This past Summer, MVRPC surveyed GIS users about how they used GIS in their organizations so that we could better understand the needs that exist at the regional and local level. The MVRPC Regional GIS survey results were summarized and are available for download.
The first survey was conducted between May 6, 2015 – May 22, 2015 and the follow-up survey was conducted between July 7, 2015 – July 21, 2015
- Each survey was sent out directly to 126 recipients (GIS professionals and/or administrators in the local jurisdictions and other regional organizations) with additional promotion to Southwest Ohio GIS Users Group members
- There was a total of 64 participants during the first survey and 45 participants during the follow-up survey
THE MIAMI VALLEY GEO-SPARK
Visit the Geo-Spark site to access GIS open data, view online maps & learn about MVRPC initiatives.
The Miami Valley’s Geo-Spark offers more easily shared layers and maps, allowing both GIS professionals and the public direct access to MVRPC’s GIS data.
Geo-Spark has three distinct sections: Open Data, a Gallery of web maps, and Initiatives involving data.
In the Open Data section, users can search or browse through over 100 different geographic data sets, where these layers can be launched into new web maps or downloaded into different data formats. Data and maps are organized and tagged by different categories including Boundaries, Census, Environment, Land Use, Transportation, Web Maps and All Data.
Galleries containing over 50 different web maps are available on a variety of topics. There is one gallery for simple, easy-to-use web maps and another for more robust mapping applications. MVRPC’s new Map of the Moment showcases a web map or mapping application that is featured for a limited time.
Geo-Spark’s Initiatives section is where users can connect more easily to a featured topic. These initiatives could include data visualizations and agency projects.
Please contact MVRPC's team of GIS experts to request various geospatial data and for technical assistance.