The Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission (MVRPC), in partnership with the U. S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT), seeks to revitalize communities, connect people to resources, and improve economic vitality and socioeconomic mobility.
The 2017 Miami Valley Equity Regional Profile communicates the need to address inequity across our Region and identifies important guiding principles of investing in equity:
- Invest in all of the Miami Valley’s people and communities.
- Promote policies and investments that address the consequences of inequity.
- Provide tools and resources that break down remaining barriers to opportunity.
Equity means that all people, regardless of where they live, have access to the resources and opportunities that improve their quality of life, allowing them to reach their full potential. Our Region’s future growth and prosperity depends on integrating all residents into the economy, including investing in the places and people that have been left behind.
“Understanding and addressing the issues of equity is essential to building a more resilient and sustainable Region. Inequity affects the Miami Valley’s ability to keep and attract people and jobs. The choices we make about future transportation and development projects can help expand access to opportunity in our Region”
Brian O. Martin, AICP
MVRPC Executive Director
Launched in the fall of 2017, MVRPC’s Miami Valley Equity Initiative focuses on addressing existing inequity in the Miami Valley Region. Working together with our residents, community leaders, and private and public organizations in the Region, Miami Valley Equity Initiative achieves the following two goals:
- Increase the awareness of our pressing matters of racial and economic inequity by sharing and disseminating the findings from the Miami Valley Equity Regional Profile.
- Take collaborative action steps to ensure that our Region, communities, and neighborhoods provide adequate resources and access to opportunities for all residents to succeed and take part in the Region’s future prosperity.
For more information about MVRPC’s Miami Valley Equity Initiative or to schedule a presentation on the Miami Valley Equity Regional Profile, please contact Martin Kim, Director of Regional Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miami Valley Regional Equity Profile
Developed in partnership with the nationally recognized Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at the Ohio State University, the Miami Valley Regional Equity Profile provides historical context on the issue of equity and examines equity in terms of places, people, and their access to opportunity. The profile presents an analysis of equity at the regional and sub-regional level including historical trends from 1980 to 2010 and a comprehensive look at equity for 2014 with interactive maps.
Visit www.mvrpc.org/miami-valley-equity-regional-profile for the Miami Valley Regional Equity Profile.